Planning a trip? Here’s What WV Locals Recommend . . .August 24, 2011
The old saying goes, “ When in Rome, do as the Romans do”. That suggestion also definitely applies here in Southern West Virginia.
Curious about how to plan for your WV vacation? Here’s a way to take some of the guess work out of the process. Southern West Virginia locals recommend the following:
These are places that offer up some of the most incredible views in the area as well as other outdoor activities. If you visit, you’ll definitely understand why these spots are recommended by locals.
* The New River Gorge Bridge viewed from Long Point – A 1.6 mile hike ending on a small rock outcropping that renders a unique panoramic side view of the bridge for those who make the trek.
* Sandstone Falls – Varying water levels on the New River make this trip different almost every visit.
* Grandview – This National Park Service property offers a variety of day-use activities.
* Greenbrier River Trail – A 78-mile trail that follows the Greenbrier River and offers year round adventure.
* Hanging Rock Observatory – A great destination for birdwatchers and scenery-lovers alike.
If these activities aren’t on your list of to-dos, then they probably should be.
* The Mystery Hole– Don’t ask. Just go and see it for yourself.
* The Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine– Go underground in an old coal mine and tour a restored coal company house, school, and church.
* Theatre WV– Theater under the stars (and on a cliff).
* Lost World Caverns – Like a coal mine, only different. Go underground and explore one of West Virginia’s coolest caves.
* Bridge Walk– A very unique way to experience the New River Gorge and the Bridge.
Southern West Virginia has an enormous amount of activities and sights. Those listed here are just a few of the local favorites. What’s your favorite area adventure?