Where The Locals Go-Fayette County, Part Two. . .February 22, 2012
Where The Locals Go- Fayette County, Part Two
With so many cool and unique places in southern WV, its hard to mention all of the area’s great sites and places in a single blog. So, take a look at Part Two of where the locals like to go in Fayette County.
In addition to the places we featured last week, there are many other cool things to see in Fayette County. Here’s a list that highlights some local favorites you should think about visiting.
* Kanawha Falls– This river-wide waterfall is on the Kanawha River just downstream of the confluence of the New and Gauley Rivers. It’s a beautiful place to sit and enjoy the river, and is also a favorite among local fishermen.
* Babcock State Park– Complete with an old grist mill, lots of rental cabins, trails, and overlooks, this area attracts locals who like to fish and hike with their families.
* Plum Orchard Wildlife Management Area – Tucked away in a hollow just a couple miles off I-77, this park has great hunting, fishing and primitive camping areas that locals really take advantage of.
*Long Point Trail – A local favorite for hiking, due to the gentle nature of its terrain and gorgeous view of the New River Gorge Bridge. At 3.2 miles ’roundtrip’, you can hike Long Point in as little as an hour or explore its multiple side trails and extend the hike according to your schedule.
After you’ve seen some of Fayette County’s natural beauty you may want to grab a burger, a beer, or a unique local craft. These next places are some local favorites to do just that.
* Studio B Gallery and Gifts– With a great selection pottery, glass, handmade jewelry and other items, this little shop is a locals favorite. They also have an extensive wine and beer inventory, including ales from local craft brewers, Bridge Brew Works.
*Midland Trail Gallery – Did we mention artwork? This gallery, located on Rt 60, is owned and operated by a local artisan and features unique sculptures, paintings and more.
* Wisteria’s Gifts – This great little local shop is located in downtown Fayetteville. They have WV Fenton Glass and WV crafts and pottery. They also carry a lot specialty jewelry and name brand gift items from Vera Bradley, Clothique, and others.
* Elliots Whitewater Bar and Grill– Located in the Quality Inn at Laurel Creek Road, this is a local hangout for sure. If it’s an ice cold beer or a good burger you’re looking for, this place will fit the bill.
What else would you add to this list?