State Reopening GuidelinesMay 14, 2020
West Virginia has had excellent leadership through these unprecedented times. Our Governor has started down the path of a slow and cautious reopening plan. This plan includes strict guidelines for every industry and we know that our partners are taking this very seriously and will be adhering to these best practices.
While this current reopening plan is adjusting each week, below are the current projections for each industry. Please note that this plan will ALLOW these businesses to open, but some businesses may choose to remain closed or continue to operate under reduced capacity should they want to take a more cautious approach. If you are planning to visit one of these businesses, please be sure to call them to ensure hours of operation and their current safety protocols.
The below outlines a phased approach to reopening many Southern West Virginia businesses. If you do not see a specific type of business on this list, please call us at 1-800-847-4898 for more information. We will also update this information as the West Virginia Strong: The Comeback initiative continues.
- Lodging – Hotels & Cabins – Currently open using state guidelines
- Campgrounds & RV – Opening May 21 for WV residents only
- Restaurants – curbside, delivery, drive-thru and outdoor dining currently open using state guidelines. Indoor dining with up to 50% capacity may begin May 21.
- Hatfield & McCoy Trail System – Reopening May 21
- Whitewater Rafting – Reopening May 21
- Guided Rock Climbing – Reopening May 15
- Guided Fishing Excursions – Reopening May 15
- WV State Parks – Camping to WV residents only may begin on May 21, tentative opening of cabins and lodges is May 26
- Golf – Currently open using state guidelines
- Ziplining & Bridge Walk – Reopening May 21
Other Upcoming Reopening Guidelines:
- Indoor Dining at Restaurants – Effective May 21
- Large/Specialty Retail Stores – Effective May 21
- Outdoor recreation rentals (Kayaks, bicycles, boats, rafts, canoes, ATVs, and similar equipment) – Effective May 21
- Outdoor motorsport and powersport racing with no spectators – Effective May 21
- Mini-Golf and Horseback Riding: These industries will be following the guidelines for Outdoor Recreation Rental Outfitters.
- Museums & Visitors Centers
Next scheduled openings:
- State Park Cabins and Lodges (In-state residents only) – May 26
- Indoor and Outdoor Bars at 50% Capacity – May 26
- Zoos – May 26
- Spas/Massage Businesses – May 30
- Limited Video Lottery Retailers – May 30
- Pools, Lakes, etc permitted to open May 30 (many will remain closed or have a delay in opening)
- Bowling alleys, pool halls, roller rinks, and other places with indoor amusement – May 30
- Casinos – June 5
- Movie Theaters – June 5