For Spartan Racers: Activities to warm-up or cool down!August 13, 2018
Looking for stuff to do while you’re in town? We’ve got a Top 5 list of activities (in no particular order) to enjoy. Whether you’re looking for a pre-race warm up or some post-race relaxation, these are activities you surely won’t want to miss.
Take a hike, or a zipline!
Maybe you’re looking to get those muscles warmed up or maybe you’re looking for a leisurely stroll after giving the Spartan Course your all, so why not hit up some of the numerous trails available in the New River Gorge? Catch a dazzling view of the New River Gorge Bridge from the overlook at the end of the Long Point Trail or marvel at the gorge’s striking beauty along the Endless Wall Trail, both near Fayetteville!
And if you want to feel a little rush of adrenaline, schedule a ziplining tour with one of the region’s three ziplining outfitters. The mountains of West Virginia offer first-class sights as you cruise among the treetops.
Cast a Line and Relax
You can have a quiet and relaxing day by pulling up a folded chair or a log along one of our lakes or creeks for some fishing! Enjoy the shore of Lake Stephens in Beckley or the lush beauty of Babcock State Park in Clifftop, and find a spot along Lake Boley or Glade Creek, where trout are known to hang out. If you’re feeling a tad more adventurous, book a fishing tour.
Racers can also enjoy the relaxing sport of golf during their stay. Schedule a tee time for Twin Falls Resort State Park’s course in Mullens, Grandview Country Club in Beaver, or the Historic Black Knight Municipal Park in Beckley. Hit the links and enjoy the vibrant green scenery around you.
See West Virginia from high in the sky or down below
Don’t want to lose the adrenaline rush just yet? Stroll underneath the New River Gorge Bridge for a Bridge Walk! See a stunning view of the gorge from 851 feet above the river, learn more about the bridge’s unique features and history and score some perfect Instagram pics! Or grab a peek of the gorge from a higher altitude from Wild Blue Adventure Company. Fly in a historic World War II biplane and be awe-struck by the beauty below, and if you want, you can ask for plane aerobatics too.
Or maybe you want to see what lies beneath West Virginia’s rolling hills. Visit Lost World Caverns (just outside of Lewisburg) where you can take a self guided tour in this hidden gem, or schedule a wild cavern tour that will take you beyond the the standard walking tour. These tours last up to four hours and your guide will lead you through out-of-this-world chambers and passageways.
Soothing Spa Trips and Tasty Dining
Whether you’re looking to carb load or need to refuel, there are no lack of dining options. Towns across the region feature spectacular restaurants offering delicious menus:
- Get your caffeine boost from Top Knot Coffee in Oak Hill and grab items made by local artisans and alpaca products. And get a hearty breakfast at Cafe One Ten across the street!
- Mix a little breakfast with your coffee at Cathedral Cafe in Fayetteville.
- Try one of Chocolate Moose’s unique coffee roasts in Beckley, and pair your drink with some ice cream!
- Have your first meal of the day surrounded by the finest hand-crafted items made by West Virginian artisans at Tamarack’s all-you-can-eat breakfast.
- The Market at Courthouse Square in Hinton offers up a mouth-watering array of delicious food options.
- It’s no secret anymore that Secret Sandwich Society in Fayetteville has the best sandwiches around and Pies & Pints has the best pizza around.
- The Railyard in Bluefield is a spot for big, bold and savory flavors where there’s a little something for everyone on the menu!
- The French Goat in Lewisburg brings a taste of France to one of the nation’s coolest small towns.
- In Fayetteville, The Station’s menu highlights seasonal fare, so be sure to make a return trip as the menu is always changing!
- Chessie’s on the Square in Hinton delights with Appalachian-inspired fare with the “sophisticated energy of the big city!”
- Dine in a woodland setting at The Char in Beckley. There you can order expertly prepared steaks or fine Italian cuisine.
If you’re looking for the ultimate obstacle course detox, there are several ways to relax the muscles and the mind.
Spartan Entry Giveaway!
Want to race as a Spartan but haven’t registered yet? Be sure to click here to enter for a chance to win your entry fee into the WV Trifecta Race!
No matter how you spend your time in the Mountain State, there are plenty of options for you before and after the race!
Will you be warming up or cooling down in southern West Virginia for your Spartan race?