Winterplace: Winter fun for allJanuary 16, 2018
Snow isn’t just for kids; it’s magical for adults, too! And at Winterplace Ski Resort in Ghent, winter games have just begun.
With a base elevation of nearly 3,000 feet, Winterplace Ski Resort is Southern West Virginia’s premier winter destination.
For one thing, it’s vast. More than 90 acres of skiable terrain carpet the mountains. Winterplace also boasts 27 trails; the longest, Panorama, is 1.25 miles long. Not surprisingly, you get a lot of options with that territory. More than a quarter of the slopes are geared for beginners. Roughly 40 percent are for intermediate adventurers, while another 23 percent are for experts.
You can also go snowboarding and tubing. Winterplace has two terrain parks and West Virginia’s largest snow tube park: an 18-lane showstopper. No experience required! After zooming to the bottom of the slope, just hop on the carpet lift for a swift return to the top.
The enchantment continues late into the evening with nighttime sports. All but one of the slopes are open. Winterplace’s terrain parks and snow tube lanes have extended hours, too. It’s such a blast, you might want to stay for the weekend. The resort has cozy cabins and several restaurants. There are hotels in the nearby cities of Beckley and Princeton as well.
Learn the ropes on the slopes
Don’t know anything about skiing or snowboarding? Winterplace has lessons for both! Terrain-based lessons expose you to fun obstacles, so learning comes naturally. You’ll get confident really quickly. In fact, if you don’t feel prepared after one lesson, the next one is free!
Winterplace also trains kiddies. The SkiWee and Snow Explorers Program is for anyone aged 4-12. With an enthusiastic, encouraging teacher, tykes learn basic skills in no time.
You don’t have to spend a fortune on equipment, either. Winterplace’s rental shop has brand-name skis and snowboards, boots, helmets, and bibs for adults and kids. Got your own gear? Get everything tuned up and serviced by skilled staff.
Since Winterplace has total snowmaking capabilities, it really lives up to its name. The winter season lasts until March if conditions are right. But special events and promotions give you extra incentive to play.
Here’s what Winterplace has to offer:
- Monthly live music: enjoy singer-songwriter Clinton Scott on Jan. 20, and 27 at The Snowdrift Lounge from 3-5 p.m.
- Tap Takeover: Founders Brewery will serve craft beer on Jan. 20 and Feb. 3 at Mickey’s Mountain Cafe from noon-closing. Comfort food will also be available.
- Emergency Service Personnel Appreciation Day: discounted lift tickets and snow tubing passes every Tuesday for policemen, hospital personnel, firefighters, and EMTs.
- Armed Forces Appreciation Day: discounted lift tickets or snow tubing passes every Wednesday for military personnel and veterans.
- Collegiate Day: discounted lift tickets and snow tubing passes every Thursday for college students and staff.
There’s also Winter Camp, a Christian-based event for kids with skiing, snowboarding, and inspirational lessons. Alpine Ministries will host the event from Feb. 2-4.
Enjoy your snow day(s)!
August 13, 2018 Meet the Sweets of the East Team: Abbie Clasgen