All About the Mount Hope JubileeOctober 2, 2012
Mount Hope, in Fayette County, has been making the news a lot lately. After all, the Boy Scouts are
building a state of the art High Adventure Base camp just outside of town. But the big fun in Mt. Hope this weekend will be the 22nd Annual Mount Hope Jubilee. It starts on Thursday October 4 and runs through Saturday evening. There’s fun for folks of all ages. Read on!
What is the Mount Hope Jubilee?
The Jubilee got its start as a part of Mount Hope High School’s homecoming football weekend. Most high school homecomings include a parade to honor the football team. But Mount Hope decided to make their homecoming into an event the whole town could enjoy. It has been a fun fall event for the community for many years.
This year’s Jubilee will be special because the High School was closed and consolidated with Oak Hill High School last year. There will be a “Sentimental Journey Prom” for all past alumni of Mount Hope on Saturday night at the Raleigh County Convention Center.
The Mount Hope Jubilee will kick off at 6:00 pm on Thursday, October 4 with the ‘Mount Hope Jubilee’s Got Talent’ show. This event will be held in town in front of the Mount Hope Community Center and is open to all ages. It’s just $5 to enter, so brush up on your singing skills. The winner will get to perform on one of the two stages Saturday with other scheduled music acts.
And there’s plenty more going on. Don’t miss the car show, a parade, a rubber duck race, a money wheel, arts and crafts vendors, and food vendors. There will be memorabilia displays, hayrides, face painting and a golf tournament, which will be held on Friday.
Want to know more? Here’s a full schedule of events:
Thursday, October 4, 2012
- 6 pm: Mount Hope Jubilee’s Got Talent, center stage
Friday, October 5, 2012
- 7:30 am: Tom Stafford Memorial Fundraiser Golf Tournament, Glade Springs Resort
- 6 to 9 pm.: Mount Hope alumni reception, old YMCA
Saturday , October 6, 2012
- 9 to 10:30 am: Alan Kinsler, contemporary gospel, Aide’s parking lot
- 10 am: Mount Hope Jubilee Parade
- 10:30 am to Noon: River Chase, rock & roll, Mount Hope Community Center
- 11 am (all day): Tom Stafford Memorial Car Show, South Main Street
- 11 am to 12:30 pm.: Country music performance by Billy Payne, Aide’s parking lot
- Noon: Money Machine, across the street from the clock, sponsored by City National Bank
- 12:30 to 2 pm: Music by Hit and Run, Mount Hope Community Center
- 1 pm: “Say Yes to the Dress, Atlanta,” featuring Fayette County’s own Monte Durham
- 1 to 1:30 pm: Gospel music by Karen James, Aide’s parking lot
- 1:30 to 2 pm: Performance by the Talent show winner, Aide’s parking lot
- 2:30 to 4 pm: Performancy by Slick Willy (Jim Pino), Mount Hope Community Center
- 2:30 to 4 pm: Music by The Boatmen, Aide’s parking lot
- 4 pm: Rubber duck race, behind Sam’s Place on wooden foot bridge
Are you going to the Mount Hope Jubilee? Tell us about it in the comments.