Your Guide to Southern West Virginia LakesApril 4, 2012
Southern West Virginia is an outdoor paradise. There are so many things to do, it’s hard to decide where to start sometimes. Rafting, hiking, biking, rock climbing, and zip lining are awesome West Virginia adventures, but don’t forget about our lakes and just how much fun they can be. Our Lakes Were Made For Fun
The lakes here offer many different possibilities for getting your play on. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Summersville Lake is the largest lake in WV, with over 2,700 acres of water. It offers camping, boating, fishing, rock climbing, scuba diving, and has a state-managed hunting area as well. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that the World Class Gauley River is just downstream of the dam.
- Little Beaver Lake is located just east of Beckley. It has fishing, boating, hiking, and biking trails. Set up at one of the campsites and get your vacation started.
- Lake Stephens is another Beckley area lake about 7 miles out of town. It has over 20 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. It also features a skate park, tennis, volleyball, and basketball courts, and has awesome fishing to boot.
- Bluestone Lake is created by a flood control dam on the New River at Hinton. It has a State Park and Wildlife Management Area; the list of recreation opportunities is virtually endless.
- Plum Orchard Lake is a sweet little Fayette County lake known for its fishing and laid back camping areas. A great place to get away for a weekend.
- Hawks Nest Lake is created by another dam on the New River. Located at the western edge of the New River Gorge National Park, it offers boating, fishing, and jet boat rides. Hawk’s Nest State Park is perched on the rim of the Gorge just above the lake.
- Boley Lake is located within the confines of Babcock State Park. There’s hiking, horseback riding, fishing, and rowboat and paddleboat rentals. This is one of the most overlooked lakes in the area.
- Moncove Lake is in Monroe County, where the lake and adjoining Moncove State Park make a truly great place to get away. Hiking trails, great birdwatching, and superb fishing and hunting make this lake a great place to commune with nature.
So, which lake are you going to visit first? Tell us in the comments!
October 20, 2016 #Repost @lifeispoppin with @repostapp ・・・ It was such a fun experience to take the girls back in time to show them what life was like before iPads, internet or any other modern luxury. It’s easy to forget how good we really do have it. #travel #learn #school #schoolhouse #trip #visitwv #gotowv #life #girls #experience #coal
October 18, 2016 There’s history all around us #visitwv