This weekend is: Small Business Saturday!November 23, 2016
Plot your way to savings in America’s “Coolest Small Town!” Pop through the historic downtown district for a list of participating retailers and restaurants. Then get browsing!
Here’s a preview of some of the shops you can stop into:
- Water Stone Outdoors: all the climbing, hiking and whitewater gear for that next outdoor adventure.
- Wisteria’s Gifts: luxury boutique with Vera Bradley accessories, home decor, jewelry and made-in-West-Virginia specialties.
- Twisted Gypsy’s: your spot for stylish, hip clothing, local art and glittery accessories you’ll find nowhere else.
- Epic Escape Game New River Gorge: can you and your friends solve this interactive adventure before time’s up?
- Marathon Bicycle Company: riding gear, brand-name mountain bikes and professional servicing.
- Secret Sandwich Society: imaginative, made-from-scratch burgers and sammies, plus craft brews, seasoned fries and homemade desserts.
- The Grove: enjoy local beer on tap, live music and regular “poetry, prose and plainsong” sessions, all in a casual space above Secret Sandwich Society.
- Cathedral Cafe: locally loved for its creative dishes and espresso drinks. Shop here for local art, and browse a tiny boutique shop, too.
All cafes and eateries have gift certificates, so think about treating someone on your shopping list to a farm-fresh meal. (How about a DIY dining hop?)
This historic town’s charm comes out in full swing for the holiday season. Antique shops, 18th-century buildings and sweet boutiques really make your spirits bright.
10% off at The Front Porch. You’ll even get a shot at winning a $50 gift certificate! Sip wine while you shop for attractive home decor, books, stylish clothing and books. Gift wrapping is free, too.
Pull a candy cane at Yarid’s, and you could win up to 20% off an item! This luxury boutique has tasteful shoes, jackets, purses and jewelry, plus free gift wrapping and holiday shipping.
Shop Small in Bluefield
With 30 participating shops to choose from, including pop-up shops, this Certified Arts Town takes Small Business Saturday seriously.
Win up to $100 in the Ugly Sweater Selfie Contest! Rack up entries at every shop you stop into. Don’t forget to pick up your small business bingo card. If you get a “Bingo,” you can leave the card at that business to win even more prizes!
In addition to the pop-up vendors, you can score discounts from:
- Bluefield Yarn Company: Score free patterns and draw from the discount jar when you pick up yarn, wool, tools, patterns and craft ideas from this colorful shop.
- Monogram Magic: Get 10% off to personalize your gifts with a custom monogram.
- Hearthside Books: Earn a free gift card with your purchase! Kids can also make crafts while you search for biographies, novels and classics.
- Bunny’s Suburban Shoppe: Enter to win a $50 gift card, and pick up a stylish new jacket for up to 75% off!
Don’t forget to vote for your favorite shop with a “like” on the businesses’ Facebook photo contest, too!
Beckley’s Pop Up Shops
Swap your traditional mall for a one-stop retail super-shop! The Downtown Beckley Business Association will turn Main and Neville streets into a massive marketplace for artists and shops.
Empty storefronts will be filled with pop-up shops, and 50+ downtown businesses will share discounts and contests. Artists will also set up their works in non-retail business spaces, so there will be way more of downtown to explore!
Get there early, and you can score some unique “Shop Small” swag bags.
Participating shops include:
- Vada Ball: vintage jewelry by Plunder Designs
- thirty-one: bags and purses
- Tickety Boo Mercantile: this funky, fun-spirited shop “upcycles” vintage furniture and antiques. Come for general discounts, door prizes and refreshments!
Where are you going to shop for Small Business Saturday?