The 5 Best Reasons To Spend Spring In The MountainsApril 21, 2010
If you ever needed a reminder about how great life is, do this: Come to southern West Virginia in the spring.
Because this is hands-down, without-a-doubt the best time to be in the mountains.
Here are 5 reasons why:
• The Green: The green that pops up during springtime isn’t just green. It’s spring green. So special they designed a crayon color for it. And you can’t see it anywhere else like this. Heck, even if you could, nowhere has the background of the ancient mountains to really draw it out. Spring green in southern WV is truly like no other color on earth.
• All The Other Colors: What isn’t green is every other color that’s bright, new, or refreshing. The redbuds burst. The forsythias pop. The mountains reinvigorate all of your color sensibilities, and make you feel alive and awake in a way that a museum masterpiece never could.
• The White Water : Okay, okay… white water rafting isn’t for everyone. Only 93% of you. We understand. If you think the mountains are pretty while driving down the road in the spring, wait until you see them from a wild river like the New or the Gauley. Even if you don’t go to a wild section of a wild river, i.e. you like family floating more than white knuckle white water, it doesn’t matter. Spring doesn’t care, and neither do we, as long as you’re having fun.
• All The Other Adventures : We like to say that, if you can do it outside, you can do it in West Virginia. So spring is our chance to rediscover all that wildness and excitement. Even if excitement is mushroom hunting instead of rock climbing, or antiquing instead of, say, ATV riding. It doesn’t really matter how you define adventure, as long as you’re doing something that makes you feel adventurous.
• The People: You didn’t think we’d leave out the key ingredient, did you? Mountaineers haven’t exactly been holed up all winter (we’re always free, remember?) Still, spring unleashes a whole bunch of happiness in the Mountain State, and we’re going to celebrate it. Our yards get the attention we’ve dreamed about. So do our grills. We get outside and stretch in the spring sun, and if that’s not a good time to visit somewhere, it’s going to be pretty hard to figure out when is.
Need another reason? You. You make spring here in West Virginia better. Time to get outside, don’t you think?