SHOP SMALL: Bluefield EditionNovember 20, 2017
“Nature’s Air-Conditioned City” will celebrate Small Business Saturday both online and on the ground. Here’s the scoop on special social media events, participating merchants, and upcoming Christmas events.
Shop Small Saturday may be Nov. 25, but Bluefield starts earlier than that with three online competitions.
If you’re a participating merchant, try your luck with the Favorite Small Business Contest. All you have to do is promote your shop’s photos, which will be listed on the Bluefield Community and Economic Development (CED) Facebook page. Obviously, the more “likes” your business collects, the better your chances of winning some cash! First place earns $100, second place gets $75, and third receives $50.
This contest goes from Nov. 18-25.
Speaking of cash, who couldn’t use a little extra? Bluefield’s two social media contests give you multiple shots at winning some money! “How Well Do You Know MyBluefield?” is a weekly trivia contest. You must complete all four surveys. The highest scores will be randomly drawn on Nov. 28, so cross your fingers! The topmost winners will receive $100 for first place, $75 for second, and $50 for third.
The “Caption This” contest is especially fun. Participating merchants will post images and videos on Facebook and Instagram, which need captions. Use every ounce of your (appropriate) wit; vendors will pick their favorite remarks and enter them into a grand drawing on Nov. 28.
Prizes for the best remarks are worth $100 for first place, $75 for second, and $50 for third.
Shop Small Saturday
Now for the hands-on part! More than two dozen Bluefield shops and restaurants will be participating on Nov. 25, so grab your Christmas list.
Get deals from places like:
- Landmark Antique Mall: explore three floors’ worth of glassware, furniture, coins, clocks, and more.
- Blue Mountain Mercantile: stop by for primitives, handmade crafts, vintage finds, yarn, and candy.
- The Corner Coffee: a charming eatery with quality espresso drinks, cupcakes, sandwiches, and treats.
- Portabella Italian Restaurant: enjoy hot sandwiches, pizza, pasta, and salads at this casual family joint.
- Big Whiskey BBQ: delight your tastebuds with slow-smoked pork, ribs, chicken, and brisket.
Enjoy your Shop Small Saturday! After that, get ready for …
A Bluefield Christmas
Germany in December is simply magical. Vendors set up in town squares with mulled wine, cookies, and exquisite little gifts.
Fortunately, you don’t need to hop on a plane. For the first time ever, Bluefield City Park will feature a Christmas Market! Craftsmen and food vendors will share space with the enormous Holiday of Lights. More than a million bulbs illuminate the grounds, too— a surefire way of sparking your spirits.
What’s more, some nights will have different events, such as:
- Holiday of Lights 5k Challenge on Dec. 2
- Hayrides with “Frozen” characters on Dec. 9, 16, 22, and 23
- A live nativity on Dec. 1-2, 8-9, and 15-16
Check out the complete schedule for exact times. Both the Christmas Market and the Holiday of Lights will last from now until Dec. 31.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
March 16, 2018 Have a Happy Easter in Southern West Virginia!