Beyond the Bridge – 14 Must-Try West Virginia AdventuresAugust 11, 2011
Since the New River Gorge Bridge was completed in 1977, it has been a marvel admired by millions. 1977 was a time even before whitewater rafting was a popular tourism
activity. The completion of the Bridge was a very significant step in the progress of southern West Virginia becoming a substantial outdoor vacation destination.
The present day New River Gorge area is abundant with a multitude of outdoor activities to keep the adventurous (and even the not so adventurous) vacationer busy. Even if you’ve vacationed in this area for years, you may be surprised to find new activities popping up all the time. Below is a list of adventures that can be enjoyed all within a 20 minute drive of the New River Gorge Bridge.
- Whitewater Rafting– Some rafting companies offer packages that include many other adventures.
- Canoeing and Kayaking– Our rivers have sections that will allow the most novice or expert paddler to enjoy themselves.
- Rock Climbing- Either on your own or a guided tour, this area offers climbing for any level of experience.
- Mountain Biking– Trails from beginner to advanced, the Gorge will test the mettle of even the best bikers. Lots of outfitters even offer bike rentals.
- Hiking– There are trails for all ages and fitness levels.
- ATV Riding– We have some of the most beautiful riding scenery you’ll find anywhere in the United States
- Horseback Rides– A wonderful way to enjoy the beauty of the Gorge.
- Heritage Tourism – There are a multitude of historical areas to explore in southern West Virginia.
- Fishing– From floating the rivers to boating the lakes, the area fishing spots won’t disappoint.
- Boating– There are lots of beautiful lakes to enjoy here.
- Zip lines– They’ve popped up everywhere in the Gorge; you’ve gotta give zip lining a try.
- Camping – From state parks to private campgrounds, you can find an area that best fits your camping style
- Skydiving– Get a birds-eye view of the Gorge while trying not to scream.
- Bi-plane rides– See the description above.
While many of these activities can be done on your own, most can also be arranged with a guide. Many companies are activity specific and specialize in making sure their guests have an enjoyable, safe experience.
So what are you going to try?