Where the Locals Go in Raleigh County, Part 2
The last time we talked about Raleigh County, we looked at some great places locals like to visit. Here are a few more:
This list highlights some of the other areas of Raleigh County that you should check out.
- Stephens Lake– Only 9 miles from Beckley, this lake is an excellent fishery with largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, tiger musky, walleye, and channel catfish. The lake contains one of the best tiger musky fisheries in the state and has camping and boating opportunities.
- Burning Rock Outdoor Adventure Park– With over 100 miles of trails designed for off-road fun, it’s a local favorite because of the terrain and views. It’s also a great place to ride safely and legally.
Exhibition Coal Mine– This is an actual old working underground coal mine in the middle of Beckley that showcases the mining process from years gone by. Locals love it because many of them had family that worked in similar mines. You’ll learn just how hard mining was before some of the automation that is available today.
Glade Creek- There’s a great recreation area at the mouth of Glade Creek where it meets the New River. This area has boat ramp, toilet facilities, and a first-come, first-serve camping area. There is a hiking trail that borders Glade Creek going upstream from the recreation area. The bottom 3.5 miles of the creek are catch and release fishing spots for trout.
There are plenty of great places to eat in Beckley, the county seat of Raleigh County. Here are some of the eateries that locals frequent.
- Pasquale’s– In business for over 40 years. Pasquale’s satisfies local Italian cuisine cravings. Be sure to try the meatballs.
- Delightfully Yours– Eclectic food and a casual atmosphere make Delightfully Yours a local favorite.
- McBees Irish Pub– McBees is one of the newest places to dine in Beckley. Great food (including some Irish favorites) and live music make a visit to McBees a real treat.
- Tamarack– Folks love Tamarack because they can dine on WV specialties, see a show or art exhibit, and shop for WV made arts and crafts. Ever tried a fried green tomato? You can at Tamarack.
The Char– One of Beckley’s finest restaurants since 1965, locals love The Char’s relaxed atmosphere and great food.
Know of any other local favorites in Raleigh County? Share them with us in the comments.
April 30, 2016 It’s our favorite Gorge too! @roaminggnome #visitwv #gotowv
April 18, 2016 Ramp Feast & Fests